Prince Philip of the United Kingdom, the 99-year-old husband of Queen Elizabeth II, has been moved to a new hospital for heart tests and treatment after being admitted to a private hospital in London almost two years ago. weeks for an unspecified infection, Buckingham Palace said on Monday.
Royal officials have said the Duke of Edinburgh, as he is officially known, was transported from King Edward VII Hospital to St Bartholomew’s Public Hospital in the City of London.
Doctors there “will continue to treat him for an infection, as well as perform tests and observation for pre-existing heart disease,” they added.
“The Duke remains comfortable and responding to treatment but is expected to stay in the hospital at least until the end of the week.”
Philip was admitted to King Edward VII’s hospital on February 16 as a “precautionary measure” and on the advice of his doctor, after feeling unwell.
However, the palace was quick to point out that his admission was unrelated to COVID-19 and later said he was being treated for an undisclosed infection.
He and Queen Elizabeth, who is 94, both received the first dose of the COVID-19 vaccine on January 9 due to their age, placing them in one of the most vulnerable categories.
An ambulance was seen leaving King Edward VII’s hospital late Monday morning, passing banks of photographers and film crews, Agence France-Presse (AFP) reported.
However, a police van and tinted windows in the ambulance blocked the view of who was inside the vehicle, which left from a rear entrance.
Umbrellas were also raised to conceal the space between the ambulance and the hospital doors.
Prince Philip turns 100 on June 10 and his already long hospital stay has raised concerns due to his age, although he is said to have been comfortable and responding to the treatment.
Her youngest son, Prince Edward, said last week that his father was feeling “much better” and was eager to return home.
He thanked members of the public for sending messages of support.
Philip’s grandson Prince William said last Monday the Duke was going “OK” and was being closely watched by medical staff.
Two days earlier, William’s father and Philip’s eldest son, Prince Charles, heir to the throne, visited him in hospital but made no comment afterwards.
Philip was able to enter the hospital unassisted when he was first admitted and arrived using private transport rather than an ambulance, a source said at the time.
The former naval officer was treated at the same hospital in August 2012 after a recurrence of a bladder infection that brought him down during the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee celebrations.
The year before, he had had a stent installed after suffering from a blocked coronary artery.
Saint-Barthélemy Hospital, where the Duke was admitted, located near Saint Paul’s Cathedral, is internationally renowned and a center of excellence for cardiac and cancer care.
The hospital’s Barts Heart Center is the largest specialized cardiovascular service in Europe, according to the hospital’s website.